We love a good soup recipe around here. They are fairly simple to make. Usually nothing burns if I forget about it or have to walk away. There is almost always leftovers. Its my perfect dinner combination.
This Vegetable Barley Soup came to fruition when a little bag of barley was placed in my cart at Aldi's. (Shopping with kids is so fun.) Anyway, it was a good buy that turned into a delicious soup.
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 C Carrots, sliced (I used frozen since that is what I had on hand)
1 C Quick Cook Barley (uncooked)
1 Can (14.5oz) Diced Tomatoes
4 C Chicken Broth
1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tsp Basil
1 Bag (16oz) Spinach, chopped (Again, I used frozen)
1 Can Cannelli Beans, drained + rinsed
1. Add the oil, onion and garlic to a large sauce pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the carrots and barley. Stir well to coat the barley in oil.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken broth, red pepper and basil. Bring to a boil.
4. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add the spinach and beans. If needed add additional water. Bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
Adapted from Earthly Grains Quick Cook Barley Recipe.
Like what you just read? You can follow along with me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or Twitter to be the first to know what we are up to around here.