Reid is really in a neat learning stage lately. Watching him experience and understand new things is the best. However, he went through a phase recently where he didn't like anything on his hands. Dirt. Food. Paint. Anything. It really made for difficult time crafting and at snack time.
So with that in mind, I set about to really focus on activities with different textures for Reid. On a quick shopping trip to Walmart, I picked up all the goodies I would need for this texture project including some Juicy Juice.
To introduce new textures and make them fun, I started off slow by just changing up things we all ready play with... like crayons and chalk.
I used the My First Crayola - Easy Grip Egg Shaped Crayons to focus on hard objects. Reid is trying to break the egg in the picture below.
Then we moved onto the Crayola Sidewalk Chalk. Note the chalk on his hands and the "I'm not sure about this face".
So after some touching, talking and playing with the crayon and chalk, it was time for the flubber.
I thought maybe Reid would need a little encouragement to "get his hands dirty" but he was all about it.
The great thing about the flubber is that really doesn't get his hands dirty. It pretty much stays in one piece without flaking or sticking, yet it feels gooey and different to the touch. This flubber kept Reid occupied for over a half an hour the first time he played with it. For a kid with a 2 second, literally, attention span, that is something.
Oh yeah, another great thing... It is simple to make.
1/4 C White Glue
1/4 C Juicy Juice
Food Coloring, Optional
1 Tbsp Borax
1/8 C Juicy Juice
1. In a medium bowl, mix the glue and Juicy Juice together.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the borax and remaining Juicy Juice together. All the borax will not dissolve. Thats okay.
3. To the glue mixture, add 3 Tbsp of the liquid from the the borax mixture. Only the liquid, try not to get the remaining borax crystals at the bottom of the bowl.
4. Mix and the slime will form.
5. Remove the slime from the bowl and discard any remaining liquid.
6. Continue to knead the slime for 1-2 minutes until a uniform mixture is obtained.
I find it best to make this when you kids are in bed, that way your husband can play with it uninterrupted. Been there, done that.
Through September, on specially marked packages of Juicy Juice you will find coupons for up to $3 off toddler and kid appropriate Crayola products. And there will be $1 off Juicy Juice Instant Coupons applied to specially marked packages of Crayola Color Wonder and My First Crayola products. So start shopping!