Our move back to NY this year, meant that we travelled to Philly for Thanksgiving. So I needed a dessert that would travel well, could be made ahead of time and was yummy.
I came up with these Chocolate Caramel filled Cookies. They were easy enough to make and held up fairly well for the 6+ hour drive.
I had a couple issues with caramels oozing out of the cookies while cooling, but Neil happily ate those “rejects” for me.
These are best when warmed a little. That way the caramel is nice and gooey!
1 ½ C Flour
¾ C Cocoa Powder
1 ½ Tsp Baking Powder
10 Tbsp Butter, Softened
1 C Sugar
½ C Packed Brown Sugar
1 ½ Tsp Vanilla
½ C Confectionary Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Butter a large cookie sheet.
- Using an electric beater, whip the butter, sugar and brown sugar together until slightly fluffy (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add the eggs, vanilla, baking powder and cocoa powder. Mix well.
- Slowly add the flour while mixing.
- Using about a 2-3 Tbsp size scoop of dough, press a caramel in the middle and form a complete ball around the caramel.
- Roll fully in confectionary sugar and place on the buttered cookie sheet.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. (This is where some of my caramels fell out the bottom of the cookie while cooling).
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.