I originally saw this recipe on SkinnyTaste a while back and thought they would make a good snack bar for road trips and quick outings. However, when I made these they turned out to be like a moist banana bread bar. Not something that I want my toddler having in his car seat… Way to big of a mess.
But these were quite tasty and okay for Neil to eat while in the car. After a couple days of snacking straight from the pan, I cut up the remaining bars and placed them in the freezer for Neil’s lunch.
⅓ C Quinoa, rinsed well
½ C Water
2 C Oats
1 Tsp Cinnamon
½ Tsp Baking Soda
3 Bananas, ripe and mashed
⅓ C Moore’s Maple Syrup
2 Tsp Vanilla
¾ C Dried Cherries
½ C Walnuts
½ C Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Grease a 9x13 Baking Pan
- Combine the quinoa and water in small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed bananas, egg, maple syrup, vanilla and quinoa and stir until blended.
- Add the cinnamon, baking soda and oats. Mix until blended.
- Stir in the dried cherries, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly a flatten slightly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 -35 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- For easier cutting, refridgerate 20 minutes before cutting
These bars can be stored in the fridge for a week or the freezer for 3 months in an airtight container.
I cut mine into bars and placed them in small snack ziplock bags before freezing… for easy on the go snacks.