We are an apple loving family over here. So much so that when one of our crisper drawers of apples was empty (The other being full of apples still), I panicked and bought another whole bushel. Yup, odd ducks here.
With our love for apples comes a love for recipes containing apples... like this yummy Apple Pie Recipe. Since we had an abundance of apples and I wasn't in the mood to make an apple pie, I set off to make these Apple Pie Bars.
Reid had a blast helping stir the uncooked apple slices for me. And eating a ton of them. He is in a helping mood lately. Although it is cute and I encourage it... It is messy and makes everything take twice as long as needed. But they are only little once right?
So we made these Apple Pie Bars and had them ready for when Neil got home from work. They turned out scrumptious and have made for a perfect before bed snack each night.
For the Crust:
1.5 Cups Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1 C Butter
For the Apple Layer:
8-10 Medium Apples, Peeled and sliced
1/2 Cup Apple Sauce, I used cinnamon apple sauce.
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 Tsp Cinnamon
For the Topping:
3/4 Cup Flour
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Cup softened Butter cut into small cubes
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Coat a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
3. Mix all the ingredients for the crust together. Firmly press the crust into the bottom of the pan evenly.
4. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. While the crust is baking, peel and slice the apples.
6. In a large pot, mix the sliced apples with the other "apple layer" ingredients.
7. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
8. In bowl, mix the ingredients for the topping together. This mixture will be dry and crumbly.
9. Once the crust is finished cooking, reduce oven heat to 350F. Poke whole throughout with a fork.
10. Once the apples are finished cooking, spread the apple layer onto the cooked crust.
11. Sprinkle the topping layer onto the apples evenly.
12. Cook for 20-25 minutes. Let cool before cutting.
13. Enjoy warm or refrigerate and keep for several days.
Do you love apples? What about apple pie?