We have had quite a few soft apples recently...so I decided to use some up in an Apple Cake. My typical Apple Cake recipe has the apples caramelized and cooked on the top of the cake. I decided to try this new recipe with the apples baked throughout the cake.
2 Eggs, beaten
3 cups flour
2 tsp lemon peel
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups apples, peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan (I used an angel food cake pan).
2. Mix the flour, lemon peel, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt together.
3. In a separate bowl mix the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, apple sauce and vanilla together.
4. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat on low until combined.
5. Fold in the apples and toasted pecans.